Initial Check List
- RJ45 Ethernet Connection With Active Connection (or other source of internet and BrightSign adapter)
- Compatible MicroSD Card.
- HDMI cord
Turning BrightSign on
- Connect the BrightSign to power. If the BrightSign is an XT or XD model the port will be labeled 12V 3A. If the BrightSign is an LS model the port will be labeled 5V 2A.
- Connect the RJ45 cable (Ethernet) to the BrightSign
- Connect the HDMI cord to the BrightSign. Make sure the HDMI cable is plugged into the HDMI port labeled 'out' if you have a BrightSign that supports HDMI in.
- Plug in USB mouse and/or keyboard. A mouse/keyboard will only be necessary during setup.
The result should be a screen that looks similar to the image below.
The Revel Player App requires a firmware version above v7.0.60. If the BrightSign has a firmware version below v7.0.60 it will have to be updated, otherwise this step can be skipped. Check the image above for an example of finding the firmware version. The firmware version is the last line of text on the main BrightSign screen.
To update the player find the BrightSign's model. The picture below shows the front of a BrightSign, which is labeled with the players version. The BrightSign in the image below is an XT3.
Use BrightSign's link to get the appropriate firmware. The player above will require firmware for an XT3 model.
On BrightSign overview page, select the firmware button under the name of the BrightSign's model.
The firmware will be downloaded as a zip file. The file name should look similar to brightsign_xt3_update_7.0.60. Unzip the firmware to a compatible microSD card. The structure should be:
- MicroSD card root
- FW ... Release Notes....pdf
* note the file names should look similar but will not be the same as those listed above.
After the files have been copied to the microSD card, insert the microSD card into the BrightSign and reboot the BrightSign by unplugging the power cord from the wall.
The results should look similar to the image below.
The BrightSign should automatically reboot resulting in the screen below. Select Next.
The resulting screen should look similar to the image below. Select appropriate network setup. in most cases 'Ethernet' is the active network connection.
The resulting screen should look similar to the image below. Select the appropriate option, in most cases 'Use Current Settings' is the correct option.
The resulting screen should look similar to the image below. If the connection is OK select 'Next - Publishing Options'
The resulting screen should look similar to the image below. Select 'STANDALONE'.
The resulting screen should look similar to the image below.
Make sure to:
- Enter a name for the BrightSign
- Select the correct Time zone
- Select Current Firmware (don't upgrade)
- Make sure installed version of firmware is above or equal to 7.0.60
Reboot the player after selecting finish.
Installing Revel Player
Downloading and Preparing Revel
Download the Revel Player for BrightSign here. (The link has not been posted)
Delete all files on the MicroSD card and unzip revel to the root of the MicroSD card.
The structure should look similar to:
- MicroSD Card Root
Place MicroSD card into the BrightSign. Reboot the BrightSign.
The Revel Application will start downloading all required files. This will take several minutes depending on the current internet speed and performance of the BrightSign.
Visit the getting started guide here for registration and scheduling content to a BrightSign.