Initial Check List
- RJ45 Ethernet Connection With Active Connection (or another source of internet and BrightSign adapter)
- Compatible MicroSD Card.
- HDMI cord
BrightSign Hardware Limitations
- XT, and XD players are limited to playing 2 videos at a time. All other players can only play one video at a time. If there are more than the supported number of videos activated the BrightSign will play them in a queue.
- The smallest size a video can be is 64x64 pixels
- Animations are limited to 20fps
- XT, and XD players are limited to 4k images and below. Other players are limited to 2k and below
Turning BrightSign on
- Connect the BrightSign to power. If the BrightSign is an XT or XD model the port will be labeled 12V 3A. If the BrightSign is an LS model the port will be labeled 5V 2A.
- Connect the RJ45 cable (Ethernet) to the BrightSign
- Connect the HDMI cord to the BrightSign. Make sure the HDMI cable is plugged into the HDMI port labeled 'out' if you have a BrightSign that supports HDMI in.
- Plug-in USB mouse and/or keyboard. A mouse/keyboard will only be necessary during setup.
The result should be a screen that looks similar to the image below.
The Revel Player App requires a firmware version at or above v8.5.33. If the BrightSign has a firmware version below v8.5.33 it will have to be updated, otherwise this step can be skipped. Check the image above for an example of finding the firmware version. The firmware version is the last line of text on the main BrightSign screen.
To update the player find the BrightSign's model. The picture below shows the front of a BrightSign, which is labeled with the player's version. The BrightSign in the image below is an XT3.
Use BrightSign's link to get the appropriate firmware. The player above will require firmware for an XT3 model.
On BrightSign overview page, select the firmware button under the name of the BrightSign's model.
The firmware will be downloaded as a zip file. The file name should look similar to brightsign_xt3_update_v8.5.33. Open the zip file and copy the contents of the root folder to a compatible microSD card. The structure should be:
- MicroSD Card
* note the file names should look similar but will not be the same as those listed above.
After the files have been copied to the microSD card, insert the microSD card into the BrightSign and reboot the BrightSign by unplugging the power cord from the wall.
The results should look similar to the image below.
Installing Revel Player
Downloading and Preparing Revel
Delete all files on the MicroSD card and unzip revel to the root of the MicroSD card.
The structure should look similar to:
- MicroSD Card Root
Place the MicroSD card into the BrightSign. Reboot the BrightSign.
The follwing screen should appear
Visit the getting started guide here for registration and scheduling content to a BrightSign.